Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Running IS Addictive

If you're anything like me, every time you see or hear about running being addictive, you scoff. My scoff was usually followed by some disbelief and pure confidence in the fact that my metabolism is still high and never going to slow down even though I'm over 30.

And then one of my best friends started running races.

And then I watched runners as I past them every morning on my way to work with a little jealousy, thinking about how when it got warmer I'd start working out.

And then I gained about 5 to 10 pounds over the last year.

I'll be honest, and you can hate me if you want, I'm thin. 
I'm not the skin and bones a lot of my friends think I am, but I'm on the thin side of average. 
Except for one or two semesters in college, I've always been thin. 
But I have an overweight mother and other relatives, so I'm a little paranoid about my weight. 
And I know that even if I am thin, that doesn't equal healthy. 
For years my mother (a nurse) has been yelling at me to start working out.

So me gaining 10 pounds? Clothes not fitting anymore? Yeah, that's a problem. 

And then my favorite radio station started advertising for their annual 5k.

Before I knew it, I had signed up and paid my entry fee.

When I told my mother that I'd signed up for a 5k, her first reaction was 'what the hell did you do that for?' Not because she doesn't think I should be working out, but because she knows me. She knows how lazy I am. She knows how much I love junk food. I just told her that it would force me to work out.

The next day, I went out and bought running shoes. Nike Flex Experience, cuz they were the only ones that supported my high arches. And went for my first run.

Day One - I ran (okay mostly walked) around 7 or 8 tenths of a mile.

Day Two - Closer to the 8 tenths. (again, running some but mostly walking)

Day Three - I went running with friends who signed up for a quarter marathon in the next few months and asked if I wanted to train together. We ran about 9/10 of a mile. A little slower of a pace (and with even more walking) than I probably would've done on my own, but it was okay because my legs hurt so bad from days one and two.

Day Four - I work both of my jobs today, so no time to run. And I'm not lucky enough to have a gym and locker room at my work, so running on lunch isn't possible. Instead I went to a nearby park and took a walk. And I'm planning on doing some yoga when I get home tonight.

I  hate that I'm not able to run today. Everyday I'm just consumed with the thought of running. Yesterday I couldn't wait for work to be over so I could go run.

I have a little bit of an obsessive personality, and it is hardcore focused on running right now. I've been researching what to eat and when, I went grocery shopping and picked up a few recommended foods for runners, I've been researching running clothes and thinking about what to make myself. Because when an avid seamstress starts running, she's just going to make her own clothes.

So don't scoff the next time someone says running is addictive. Because they're right.

No comments:

Post a Comment